Chelwood Nursery School
What is the Governing Body for?
All maintained schools have a governing body. The Department of Education states that the purpose of having a governing body is to:
- Help the school to set high standards by planning for the school’s future and setting targets for school improvement.
- Keep the pressure up on school improvement Be a critical friend to the school, offering support and advice
- Help the school respond to the needs of parents and the community
- Make the school accountable to the public for what it does
- Work with the school on planning, developing policies and keeping the school under review
- Exercise its responsibilities and powers in partnership with the headteacher and staff
- Not intervene in the day-to-day management of the school unless there are weaknesses in the school, when it then has a duty to take action.
How are parents’ views represented on the governing body?
There are parent governors on the governing body. They are there to give a parental perspective. You can ask them to represent your view or ask a question on your behalf. You can also ask the Chair to put a particular item on the agenda.
Specific issues concerning any individual child cannot be discussed by the governing body.
If you have a complaint about the school which you have not been able to resolve using our Complaints Procedure, or if you have a complaint about the Headteacher, then you can contact the chair and ask for your complaint to be investigated by the governors.
The Governing Body at Chelwood Nursery School, operates one main committee, the Resources:
All Governors at Chelwood are members of the Resources Committee
- Resources Committee Chair – Fiona Brocklebank
- Resources Committee Vice Chair – Jane Smith
(The All Purposes Committee was abolished in December 2014 when the Resources Committee was established.)
There are also some minor committees that meet: Personnel, Finance, Curriculum and Safeguarding and Pupil Welfare. These meet periodically and feed into the Resources Committee.
Additional committees & panels meet as and when required:
- Pupil Discipline
- Staff Grievance
- Staff Discipline & Staff Discipline Appeal
- Pay Appeal
- Complaints Panels
These committees meet with a minimum of three eligible governors, who are selected according to the following criteria:
- The three members can be selected based on suitability in terms of experience, balance (gender, race) and availability
- If it was regarding a staff member no staff member on the committee
- If it was regarding a child then no parent member on the committee
- If four members were available then they would be chosen in alphabetical order
Minutes to the meeting of the Governing Body are available on request.
Requests should be addressed to Louise Karmali – School Business Manager